Saturday, August 6, 2011

Right Time, Right Place

Just a quickie to share some photos and excitement from Edinburgh, Scotland last week!

First - I am a fan of the Monarchy. New and old. So, when we found ourselves in Edinburgh during the time of the Royal Wedding between Zara Phillips and Mike Tindall, and their wedding day was our only free day, it was a no-brainer for us to try to get a glimpse.

While we weren't willing to camp out or anything like that, we did stand behind the barriers for over five hours ... but unlike many, we were hugely rewarded in a few frantic minutes after the service.




This was the scene. The Church was directly across from the building that is half white (top) and half stone (bottom). The buses with the guests went by us, but the Royals, etc. came up from below.


It was really a lot of fun, we all had commemorative flags to wave that were given out to everyone, we got to know our neighbours well and chatted with the police too, everyone was in a festive mood. Our position wasn't great, but I did manage a bit of a shot of Prince Andrew. We didn't actually "see" anyone else before the service. But, we decided to wait until after the hour long service (what's another hour after four already spent) and that paid off in spades! Positioned right behind some paparazzi who were pretty aggressive, none of my shots of the bride worked out - I'm just too short and they were blocking me off. Terry, however, lifted his little camera and got a few fuzzy pictures of the bride (and groom)!!!



Sometimes a fuzzy picture is worth using!!!

Realizing I wasn't going to get a thing going over or through, I dived under, found a little hole between two photographers, prayed no police or others would step in front and block my vantage point. I started to shoot and didn't stop until all were out of the Church. I was rewarded with pictures of the entire Royal Family and more!! The position I was in was painful and I paid for it with sore legs for a couple of days but it was so worth it!!!!


My best shot of HRH Queen Elizabeth II (Prince Phillip beside her). So exciting!!


Prince Charles and Camilla


Will and Kate, with Harry in the shot at the far left.

One of the most unforgettable days of my life! What an experience.

Much more to come later.